um...so...it's been awhile, eh?

Saturday, June 18, 2011

I am fairly certain that no one will see this first post for quite some time.  Because, you know, I pretty much abandoned it.

But I think I'm going to blow the dust off and get er' going again.

I'd like to start documenting my life once more.  I've sort of been doing it through Instagram and Facebook and a little through the Twitters.  But it might be nice to have a central location to write a little and post photos of what's going on.

So, what has been going on?

Lots.

We moved from the wonderful house we were renting in the quiet suburbs of Dallas to a lovely little community called Lakewood which is about 5 minutes from downtown and within 20 minutes of a lot of the other commercial centers of the Metroplex.

We've switched churches from Lake Pointe Church to Watermark Community Church.  It has been pretty life changing actually.  Not that there was anything at all wrong with Lake Pointe.  It is a GREAT church.  We just didn't quite fit.   But literally the moment I walked into Watermark, I felt at ease, like this is the place I've always been looking for.  The people are authentic in a way I hadn't experience before, the worship is wonderful....sincere and not too concerty - you know what I mean?  The teaching is a perfect mix of instruction, convicting and is spoken from the standpoint of someone who is not perfect but is doing their best to live it out.    There are very few "masks of perfection" and I find that beyond refreshing.

We are attending a program once a week through Watermark called "ReEngage" which focuses on marriage and how to build a strong and vibrant one through focusing on our individual relationships with Christ in a small group setting that provide community and accountability.  It's scary to be that vulnerable with basically complete strangers but it's wonderful to be in a setting with 4 other couples who all have the same goals and are willing to take down their walls and boundaries and "get real" in order to grow and achieve marriages that are healthy.

We are also spending less time watching tv and more time grown in our hobbies and other activities....reading, exercising, photography, Kevin is podcasting and I am pursuing artistic endeavors and will be starting to study math so that I can go back to school and actually learn how to create in the way I want to.  Math is a necessity because apparently just because the Political Science program back in the day at Boise State didn't require it doesn't mean that the Texas education system doesn't think it is important.  Stupid Texans and their mathematics.   It will be really hard and frustrating but worth it...I think...I hope. 

One of the things I will taking classes in is photography.   Kevin bought me a Nikon D90 and I would like to figure out how to use the complex piece of equipment to its full capabilities.  We just bought a lens for it today and, honestly, I am more than a little intimidated and overwhelmed by the possibilities and options it offers.  But excited at the same time.  So I'll document a bit of the progress of it here and let you know how it goes.

I'll also post more frequently so that my posts aren't small novels! 

I will leave you with the favorite photo of the day...Kevin took it.  It's his podcasting microphone.




3 comments:

Stacey said...

Hey...so glad you're back :0) I too am trying to post a little more - at least once a month, which means I'm behind, ah! Life is quite busy, though, being that it's summer AND I am trying to adjust to a second little one! I'm so glad to hear that you found a great church - a good church family is wonderful! I LOVE mine too!

Miss you - would love to see you sometime when you're this way :0) We were in Boise this week to see Etsu and Justin - we met them and April and her kiddos at the park. It was really great, and I couldn't help but wonder how fun it would have been to have you there too - the old Bible study girls together again!

Shelley said...

Hi Stacey!!

A good church family is a pretty amazing thing, indeed. I am looking forward to becoming part of this one.

Miss you too. I am so bummed that I am missing Etsu and Justin's trip. We'll be there at the end of July. If you all are in the area from the 23rd - 30th it would be great to see you and your beautiful little girls.

Traci said...

Yay!!! So glad you're back. Now I won't feel so silly constantly checking in on your blog. :)