Channeling my inner cowgirl

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A couple weekends ago I was blessed with the opportunity to go horseback riding. One of Kevin’s company’s owners lives about 20 minutes away on some beautiful property with a pond and horses and dogs and bunnies and fireflies and a koi pond and and and lots of other cool country stuff. It was very Texas out there.

It made us laugh (on the inside) because they kept talking about how the live on a hill. Um……..ok. Sure. If you mean that your property is about 100 feet higher than any other property in the area then yes…a hill it is. It looks about as flat as a pancake to me. But hill or no, it was beautiful and relaxing and I loved being there.

Anyhoo…they cooked us a lovely dinner of gigantic steaks and homemade mac n’ cheese and salad with homegrown veggies. It was awesome. Super duper awesome. I even found a red wine that I can tolerate…nay, even like. A Shiraz. We liked it so much we went out and bought 2 bottles! Just in case we need to be fancy in the future and drink red wine with people.

So after dinner, I put on my pretty (faux) cowgirl boots that Kevin’s mom gave me for my birthday and I summoned my inner cowgirl.

Well…have a look.




I carried my own saddle and even managed to put it on the horse all by myself.

Saddles are heavy.



"uh...what goes where?"




"lookee! I saddled this horse! and now I get to ride her!"



Isis isn't so sure about that plan. I think she knows I'm clueless!



"hey! there's a baby bunny in there!"



Receiving instructions on what to do and when to do them.



Too happy to remember the instructions!

I haven’t enjoyed myself that much in a long long time. By the time we were through, I had figured out how to make the horse turn whichever way I wanted her to go and stop and then start again. We didn't trot though because I forgot to wear a certain supportive sport type undergarment and thought trotting might be painful. So we just walked this way and that way and back again.

And now, despite the fact that I walked like a wierdo for 3 days afterward (holy cow...SORE!), I want a horse. Well, I’ve always wanted a horse. But now I really really want a horse. Unfortunately I know that can’t happen for a long time. It’s just not practical for us right now. Our backyard isn't quite big enough and I’m sure that our subdivision has some sort of rules against it. Plus, our landlords would want a much bigger pet deposit.

Someday, I will have a horse though. Yes I will. And I will name it Bob. Unless it comes with a name and then I will call it that name.

Yee haw.

4 comments:

Emily said...

You look so cute on the horsey!

Meggie said...

You're the coolest. I posted a new blog. Just for you!!!!

Anonymous said...

SCARY! Horses scary. They always have... ever since I put on a horse that had to be 7ft tall when I was like 10. Not a good experience. Glad you got to ride one though! Considering you live in Texas and all!

Anonymous said...

Meant to say "scare me" not "horses scary"... That obviously makes no sense at all...