Learning and Growing

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hi, peeps! Things here are pretty awesome. I’ve been getting lots of great input from different sources and am taking the time to process and absorb it all. I’m beginning to feel very excited and sure about the future rather than hesitant and unsure. So all and all, I would say that life is good and God rocks.

Yesterday, I was reading from The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis (He is my most favorite of all authors. I can’t read too much of him at one time because there is so much on one page to take in and process. For me, 1 page from him is the same as 5 pages from another author. Unless it’s one of his fiction books and then those must be devoured in one sitting.) When reading an author like Mr. Lewis or Mr. Tozer, it helps me to process what I read if I write down passages that jump out at me. Good golly, though, I might as well just copy the whole book verbatim. But I didn’t because I hate it when my hand cramps up. Instead I focused on just a few passages. And I have a couple that I want to share.

The first:

“All our merely natural activities will be accepted, if they are offered to God, even the humblest, and all of them, even the noblest, will be sinful if not.”

That hit home with me because I really struggle that I am not “out there” serving Him more, etc. But instead of being focused on all that I just need to quiet my heart and offer up my daily activities to Him as an act of obedient worship. Sweeping the floor and making the bed, if done with the right heart are more pleasing to Him than making meals for the homeless would be if I did it with the wrong heart.

It was good to be reminded of that. I’m making a sincere effort to correct that in my life now.

The second quote:

“…God makes no appetite in vain. We can therefore pursue knowledge as such and beauty as such, in the sure confidence that by doing so we are either advancing to the visionof God ourselves or indirectly helping others to do so.”

Sometimes I feel that my pursuit of beauty in my life is selfish and not practical and therefore something I should abandon. But I can’t because it’s so a part of me, so I end up beating myself up about it. But Mr. Lewis reminded me that God gives the desires of the heart (appetites) and it’s ok to follow them because He doesn’t give those desires without a reason.

It’s good to be reminded that God made me the way I am. He wants me this way to fulfill some purpose for which He created me. I don’t have to know what it is…I just have to follow where He calls me to go and be brave.

Well, folks, I know that I haven’t been all that entertaining lately. Sorry ‘bout that. I haven’t felt very funny for a couple days and rather than try to force it or not write anything at all, I have decided to share this process with you all.

I hope to find my funny again in a couple days. And if not the funny, perhaps just the less serious…maybe tomorrow I’ll delight you all with a list of all of my current favorite foods…oooohhh…now wouldn’t that just cement me even further as the weird one in my family.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that you're learning lots through this time :-)