A good time was had by all

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy Tuesday!

I hope you all had nice and relaxing (and if not relaxing at least fun) Labor Day weekends. Kevin was getting over a cold he brought back as a souvenir from a recent business trip so we laid low this weekend with the exception of Sunday.

What did we do Sunday? Don't worry! I'll tell you!

Sunday, during the day, we cleaned the entire house (I know, the excitement!!). Then, in the evening, we went to the Pocket Sandwich Theatre production of Moon over Buffalo with our friends (and landlords), Matthew and Lisa.

It. Was. Awesome.

The theater is in this strip mall and is kind of a hole. A cheesy, totally kitsch hole. I LOVED it. I'm kicking myself for not remembering to take my camera because it was just so fun inside. I kept looking around and smiling because it was just so fun inside. All of the walls were lined with black and white photos (head shots, I guess) of the theater's actors over the past 30 years. And then in the midst of them were random props like a gigantic stuffed animal moose head (seriously, like 3 feet in diameter). As we left, Lisa and I patted it's nose for good luck.

Aside from the kitsch, the atmosphere inside is really cozy because the theater only holds about 150 people. So really there are no bad seats anywhere. What makes it even better is that it's set up kind of like a restaurant with everyone seated at tables or booths and if you get there ahead of time you can order dinner or munchies. I had a stuffed baked potato and salad. Kevin had nachos. Lisa had soup and salad. Matthew had a Reuben. So there is quite a variety of food options.

But you don't go for the food, you go for the atmosphere and a great time. Which we definitely had. The acting was really good for such a cheese filled production. (Cheesey is kind of their speciality). We laughed almost the entire time. It was great!

Their next production is going to be Sweeney Todd. We already have plans to see it since it is a "popcorn tossing comedy spoof" on the original play. That means you get to purchase popcorn and then throw it at people (the actors as well as your fellow audience members!!!) How fun is that?!

After the play, we headed over the The Old Monk which is a great Irish pub in the SMU area. We were lucky enough to snag a table outside and let me just say that it was a beautiful night to be outside. It wasn't stifling hot or overly humid. It was the perfect combination of just warm enough with a slight breeze blowing through. Wonderful!!

You know what else was wonderful?! Their bread pudding. It was heaven on a plate and I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was the best bread pudding EVER.

Yes, EVER!

I could have eaten a whole plate of it all by myself. I was nice, though, and shared it but I didn't want to! It was the stuff that dreams are made of. Forget sugar plums (those sound gross, anyway!), I will have that bread pudding dancing in my head.

After we hung out for a couple hours, I soberly but spastically drove us home (driving on strange freeways at night is always a challenge for me...I never know what speed to go or lane to be in...ACK!). And even though I had only water to drink all night I was pretty much certain I was going to get pulled over for drunk driving. But I didn't. WOO HOO!!

It's all about the small victories in life.

What did you all do this weekend?

5 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, sounds like you had a fun weekend! I'm jealous. We didn't do anything...I was bored stiff. I suppose I should have packed some boxes or something, but you know, I didn't do anything instead.

Faithicus said...

I LOVE BREAD PUDDING !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey!!
Just got back from Nashville! It was great. Went to see Dr David Jeremiah.He talked on his new book out. Way cool, he signed his devotional for your mom.
We listened to Southern Gospel music and he (Dr. Jeremiah) even sang bass with Legacy 5. fun!
Thats what Antie did. Ü
The drive was awesome too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time! And bread putting is SO good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shell, you should be a food critic or something fun like that... I love to hear what you guy's do together....

Miss you's Mom