The Memorial

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When I found out that we were going to Oklahoma City, I knew that I wanted to visit the memorial and pay my respects to those who so senselessly died. I didn't know anyone who had died in the tragedy but I still felt it was important to go and remember them and say a prayer for the families that were left behind.

I wasn't sure what to expect because I have never been to a memorial before. I expected it to be very somber and very sad.

It was.

The memorials' tone is set from the moment you see it as you are driving up. It instantly produced a feeling of mourning. It sort of looks like a tombstone.



As you stand at the opening in the wall you see a beautiful reflecting pool and reflected in it another wall, identical to the first. Each wall has a time inscribed on it. The front wall says 9:01 and the back one says 9:03. The bomb went off at 9:02. The entire memorial is set up to remember and reflect on the events set in motion by that one minute. To never forget the incredible destruction and trauma that can happen in a moment of time.



To the left of the stairs leading down is a partial wall of the original building.



To the right of the entrance is the most beautiful and gigantic tree that commemorates the heroism of all the rescue workers. * I was wrong. This is a 90 year old tree that survived the bomb so it commemorates the survivors. There is an orchard of trees that celebrates the rescue workers. I didn't know it was there though so we didn't walk through it.




The way chosen to honor those who died was with a chair. One for each person who died. There are 168 chairs. Each chair is in a row that corresponds with the floor on which they worked.









As I walked around the pool I was met with two very conflicting emotions: peace and sadness. I think that is the sign of a very well designed memorial.





I was glad that we went but I am sad that it was necessary to go at all. I will never understand why people feel the best way to get their point across is with a bomb.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing. I doubt I'll ever go to Oklahoma City, so I'm glad you shared so much about it.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that they had done this for them. What incredible way for the whole city and those that visit to remember .
Thanks for sharing Shell.
Antie

Nicole said...

Is this a memorial for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Traci said...

Thanks for sharing Shelley...and for going. This totally makes me tear up a bit.

But it is beautiful.

Shelley said...

Nicole...yes, the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Antie, I know! I had forgotten how extensive the memorial was. I thought it would me a statue and a plaque. I was really struck but the amount of thought and detail and meaning that they gave it. It was pretty amazing.

Traci, I know...the beauty of it was breathtaking but at the same time the only reason the beauty existed was because of such tragedy. I kept thinking about how beautiful it was there and then feeling weird about how much I was enjoying it visually. But I guess that's one of the best ways to remember people. Makes me so thankful for talented and creative artists/designers that can envision ways to honor loss that can combine tragedy and beauty in such an honoring way.

Em...you're welcome! I never thought I'd ever be there either so I'm glad I can share something like that.

Grandma said...

hiShelley! This is a test. Let me know if iyou get it, OK?
Your Dad is walking me through this.
Love you!
Grandma