Watercolors soothe the whiny beasty

Monday, September 8, 2008

Kevin and I are going to California in a couple weeks and my birthday present to him was Dodgers tickets for when we are there. So in lieu of having anything tangible to give him, I told him that he could watch however much football he wanted from Thursday to Sunday and I would only whine minimally (well, honestly, I told him I wouldn't whine at all but that just wasn't realistic). And, boy howdy, did he take me up on that. It was all football all the time over here.

In order for me to keep good on my promise I had to find stuff to do away from the living room. So I went to my room and rummaged around for inspiration. And *ta daaaa* I found some in the form of watercolor paints. I inherited them from Kevin (he used them for a random art project for a Communications class back in the day) and I hadn't ever really tried them out before.

Wheeee!

I am so glad I did! I was entertained for hours! I am now completely in love with watercolors. I still have no idea what I'm doing but, hey, that's part of the fun, right? In the beginning I made a lot of absolute crap but after a while of messing around with the paints I ended up with a few things that weren't awful. Here are a few of them.

This first one is so much prettier in person. The colors are very vivid and I just love it.



These next two are girls that were experiments. I wanted to see if I could paint a person and have it look like a person rather than blobs of random colors trying to resemble a person. And I did...so I had to try it again. And much to my surprise the first girl wasn't a fluke. I was quite pleased about that.




I think they are good first tries. I know I have lots and lots of room for improvement but it's kind of fun to try something for the first time and not be completely horrible at it!

While I was playing with watercolors and Kevin was binging on football....what did you all do this weekend?

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Nicely done!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! You painted those girls with watercolor? That is impressive.

Regardless of how horrible it would look, I SERIOUSLY want to have 2 T.V.'s in our living room. Nicole is the exact same way about watching football and it makes me sad.

She does give me Saturdays to watch college football though. Which I greatly appreciate.

Shelley said...

Ty...if you had 2 tv's in the living room, how would the sound work? Would football be on mute?

Anonymous said...

I would gladly watch football on mute:-)

Emily said...

Great job, they turned out great!

Traci said...

What did we do this weekend? Went to a football game :). We love the 49ers...I actually like football...it was their season opener...we got amazing seats. Almost a perfect day (they lost).

Love your water colors! I'm so proud of you for continuing to experiment and try new things and to show them to us! Great job!

Oh...and I can't wait to see you in less than 2 weeks!

Anonymous said...

I love them!!! They are great!!
Water colors are my total fav.
I am not a football fan and am glad that Uncle Tom only enjoys watching College football. Go Gators!!!! Im a basketball fan, Go Gators!!!!Actually let me be totally honest, I only watch the Gators and only in person. lol So if the tv is on, Im rumaging through the movie channels. lol
Okay enough rambling, Antie

Anonymous said...

Hi Shell,
I love the pictures!
You do make good use of your time!
Ask Antie how many remote controls for her TV ended up on the roof during sports season!! Ü

You are a good wife to bless Kev like that!
Love ya
Mom

Anonymous said...

Tell your mother, my sweet sweet sister. none!!!!