ARGH!

Friday, October 10, 2008

So yesterday I told you how I was frustrated because I hadn't heard back from anyone regarding the many many resumes I sent out. Well, I know for sure that at least 5 of those are because I am a moron.

I just realized that I had taken my previously nonspecific resume and had made it specific for one company in the Objectives line, sent it to that company and then forgotten to make it unspecific again and then sent it out to several other companies.

ARGH!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter how qualified I am or how awesome my cover letter was (and there were some truly great cover letters). The fact that I stated that I was looking to gain employment at a company that was not their company gets my resume tossed in the trashcan faster than fast. It's pretty much showing them I am incompetent with flashing Vegas style lights.

Currently I am chanting to myself over and over....Everything happens for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. And contemplating going back to bed.

ps...in case you are wondering why I wasn't making my resume specific for those companies in the first place, it's because many companies aren't giving their name or any contact information in their job postings. The only way to contact them is to send them an e-mail.

7 comments:

Traci said...

Oh Shelley! I'm so sorry!

I totally understand the all consuming thoughts of "what did I just do?!"...try to take a deep breath and keep chanting that mantra! I wish I were there because I'd totally take you out for the day and try to get your mind off of it.

Shelley said...

Thanks! I just hate that I spent so much time and energy on the cover letters and stuff just to have it all ruined by 5 words. SO obnoxious.

I found a bubble tea place here (30 minutes away) so I think I might convince Kevin that we need to go get some to cheer me up.

Emily said...

Lame-o! So sorry. You're right, everything happens for a reason, none of those places were meant to be your place of employment.

Never had bubble tea, is it good?

Traci said...

oh yeah. There's nothing better to lighten a dark mood than bubble tea. A long time ago, Herman and I would go to a local park and shoot the pearls (through the straw) at the geese, which is also a great stress reliever. But this only works if the pearls are really bad, because no one wants to waste a perfectly yummy pearl. And if you have no objections to shooting inferior tasting starch balls at geese.

Shelley said...

Traci...geese are evil and deserve to have inferior tasting starch balls shot at them.

Em...bubble tea is pretty much awesome. Next time you go into Portland you should google places that serve and go check it out.

Monica W. said...

Awww! Sister! I so sorry. I feel your pain. Stuck at home wishing you had money that you don't and needing it...grrr. I have also been looking for a job without any results. I hope that you have better luck than I have! A fantastic, amazing job will come your way soon, i just know it!!

Anonymous said...

That is a very sad story:-( Not much is worse than feeling like you wasted a ton of time!

And I agree. Bubble tea is AWESOME. (And I'm pretty sure I had it in the Philippines before anyone here knew what it was... accept it was called Zagu. Much cooler name)