Christmas decorations and craftiness

Saturday, December 20, 2008

I KNOW! I am awful at blogging lately. FOOEY! I'm seriously considering calling it quits. Here's my thought, though...if I get 8 comments from people saying they want me to keep blogging then I will come up with some sort of strategy to blog at least 4 times a week. But if not then I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and blog every 2 weeks or so.
____________

Moving on...here are some photos from the drama that has been me decorating for this holiday season.

First, I bought that stupid white Christmas tree that I thought was prelit but happened NOT to be prelit. In case you were curious, I did end up putting it together.

I made Kevin take a picture to prove it.



After it was assembled, I was feeling Christmas spirited again. And was looking forward to getting the finished product all assembled and gazing contendly at it's beauty. With that in mind, we spent several hours the next night driving around to store after store trying to find white lights that have white cords. We found PLENTY of white lights with green cords and also colored lights with white cords.

But NO WHITE WITH WHITE.

This lead to some bitter tears being shed in the ornament aisle at Wal-Mart and upon our return home the immediate the dissemblance of that evil Christmas tree.

Now we have our little Charlie Brown Christmas tree up on our coffee table. He has served us well these past several years. I just realized I have no photos of him. Hmmm...maybe I'll snap a photo of him and post it soon.

Or maybe not.

Who knows.

So with no big Christmas tree, I decided I would make up for it with a spectacular mantle. I had such visions of awesome in my head.

But no matter what I did nothing looked good, let alone awesome. It was quite frustrating.

After lots of different arrangements, I ended up with this.



I know.

Way less than spectacular and not even close approaching awesome. (But I did make all of the things in picture frames, so that's gotta count for something, right?!? )

Well, I was prepared to just deal with that mantle and pretend I liked it.

BUT THEN!

I found this beautiful vintage mirror at a local consignment store for
$40. So I bought it and put my giraffe reindeer in front of it.



Still not spectacular but definitely more Christmassy than what was going on up there before.

I started to feel more in the Christmas spirit again. Which was good because 3 days later I had a Christmas craft night planned at my house.

We were going to make Martha Stewarts Beaded Letter Ornaments. It looked so easy on the website and my sister in law, Emily, made them several years ago and they were adorable. So I thought it would be a great craft for us to do and practical too!

In preparation, I bought a very unnecessary amount of beads because it would not do to run out midcrafting! (I was so paranoid about it even sent Kevin on a bead run for me. He must love me a lot!)

Here they are waiting for everyone to arrive.





Does anyone else love to run their fingers through beads? It's so soothing for me.

In the end, there were 5 of us making beaded ornaments and talking and eating and drinking sangria.



Some of the girls managed to make wonderful A's and other such tricky letters. Me, well, I ended up making several s' and l's and straight lines.



I'd like to blame the sangria on my crafty ineptitude. Alas, I cannot. I know because I tried to make some prototypes before everyone came over so there would be a finished product for people to look at for inspiration or whatever.

Unfortunately, my letters turned out less Martha and more creative kindergartner. And that was pre-sangria.

So, add in the sangria and well...it's not pretty!

All in all it was a fun night and now I have enough beads to see me through the next decade!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun craft night! We're "buried" in snow right now. Seriously, we have like 3-4 in. on the ground and it's still snowing. It's so purty! I hear ya on the whole blogging thing...I love to stay in touch with everybody but mine is seriously BORING and I'm totally not inspired any more.

Traci said...

First of all...PLEASE KEEP BLOGGING! I check back back multiple times a day, just hoping that you've updated. Maybe you can start by committing to just 2 or 3 times a week? Or else I'll just leave 8 different comments begging for you to continue. :)

Second...sorry about the white tree/white tree lights fiasco. Although I do love how your Christmas spirit comes and goes.

Three...Love your giraffe reindeer. And great find with the mirror.

Four...Love Sangria

Five...every time I see bags of smalls items like beans, beads, etc, I have to restrain myself from diving in. Love that you're the same way because a lot of people don't get that!

Six...see you in a week!

Anonymous said...

Okay ... I am so with Traci on this blogging thing. Hi Traci!! anyway...
I was even thinking of sending 8 blogs and smiled when I read she (Traci) beat me to the punch. lol
Even a few times a week is great. You have a great way of expressing yourself and your humor is awesome.
I know your busy and you have other forms of communication to deal with also. But we love the blog girl and the ornaments are adorable too!! But do as the Lord leads.
Antie

Anonymous said...

Okay people thats 3 comments!
Lets send them in!!! Nothing like bias support ! LOL

Antique Mommy said...

Would it count if I post a comment 8 times?

It's easy to get hooked on comment crack, but blogging is also about having a record of this time in your life. On the other hand, don't be a slave to it. Blog when you have something to say and don't when you don't.

I want to learn how to bead just so I can make Christmas ornaments. My friend owns what I call a bead conglomerate and I love to go in her store and as you say, just run my hands through all the pretty beads.

Kevin said...

Do I count? KEEP POSTING!

Anonymous said...

I googled white christmas lights with white wires and got christmaslightsetc.com

Antie

Faithicus said...

I love running my hands thru beads too !! It is quite soothing.
And your mantle is quite festive now. That mirror was a find.

I have to say - I really hope you keep blogging - because I do look forward to reading it at night. I usually check it every other night to see if you have anything new going on. I understand if you are just too busy. But I hope you will find time to continue.

Sorry about your tree fiasco. Hope you are able to work all that out.

Craft night sounded cool too. The S ornament was cute. And your set up was sweet too.

Peace !